As stated in the Colonel’s book by Ionescu Dobrogianu, the hotel was built between 1879 and 1881, in a neo-classical style. It featured decorative capitals and statues and was constructed by a company called “Danube and Black Sea Railway”, which was led by John Trevor Barkley. This company is also responsible for the building of the “Constanta-Cernavoda” railway. The plans of the hotel were created by the architect Alexandru Orascu. The construction has a solid foundation, which is on a rock 14 m underground. It is made of brick stones built with hydraulic lime mortar.
On June 1, 1882 the newspaper “Farul Constanta” announced the opening of the grandiose hotel.
According to an article in the literary and scientific journal “Ovidiu” of that period, “the grand facade with its numerous windows give it a splendid appearance. It includes 90 spacious rooms with balconies, which are beautifully furnished. There are hot and cold baths on each floor of the hotel. For entertainment, the building features: circles, pianos, serate familiari, weekly dancing events, sea excursions and boats available to amateurs ”. In 1905 the hotel was electrified.
The building was used for a long time as a hotel, initially called “Terminus”, and then “Carol”. After the First World War, the building was taken over by the Naval League “Yacht Club”, and then by the Military Circle, and between 1925 and 1927 it became an official officer dorm. In 1928, the newly renovated building became the “Carol I Military Circle”, because, in 1932, the building provided the functional space for the first exhibition of the first Museum of the Romanian Navy. In 1958 it becomes the seat of local enterprises, and from 1978 it gets reassigned to the headquarters of the Military Navy Command. Between 1982-1983 the neoclassical style of the building is restored. At that time, both wings of the building were demolished, leaving only the central body. Compared to the previous aspect it previously had, on the last floor a balcony was created in the central pavilion area to balance the terrace on the first floor. Currently, this symbol of Constanta remains in the patrimony of M.Ap.N and is carrying out the activity of the Sea Fleet Command within the Military Navy.