Axiopolis was a Roman, and later Byzantine fort, and was located on the right bank of the Danube, 3 km south of the bridge of Cernavoda. Its position coincides with the closest point between the Danube and the Black Sea, which is why it played an important economic and strategic role. Axiopolis was connected by the city of Tomis. The citadel appears mentioned in numerous documents, including in Ptolemy’s Geography, where it appears with the name Axioupolis, or the famous Tabula Peutingeriana.
During the archaeological researches, the Hellenistic pottery from the 3rd – 2nd century BC was discovered, which led to the hypothesis that the fortress is older, and that is from the pre-Roman period. It was founded by the Thracian king Lysimachos and provided commercial links with the Greek cities on the banks of the Euxin Bridge (Histria, Tomis and Callatis). During the Roman times,the Geto-Dacian fortress developed into a city.
The archaeological research carried out by the engineer Pamfil Polonic, under the guidance of Grigore Tocilescu, revealed the existence of two fortresses, one Roman over which the second one was overlapped, most probably Byzantine. In the sixth century, it was most likely the episcopal residence. An inscription in Greek discovered in 1947 among the ruins of the basilica in the cemetery mentions the martyrs Chiril, Chindeas and Tasius. The feudal fortress existed here until the 9th – 10th centuries.
Unfortunately, the ruins of this fortress cannot be visited, because inside it is an ammunition warehouse from the time of the First World War.